John A. Garretson
Prior to retiring in July of 2016, John A. “Jack” Garretson had been engaged in the private practice of law as a trial attorney since 1977. Jack’s primary foci as an attorney were personal injury cases representing injured clients, criminal defense and domestic relations/family law. He has represented thousands of clients in all of the courts of Butler County and in courts in the surrounding counties, federal courts, and in cases in our Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Jack achieved the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards in Martindale-Hubbell. Born and raised in Hamilton, Ohio, Jack graduated from Hamilton Taft High School in 1967 where he was class president for three years. He then graduated with honors from Princeton University in 1971, where he was an All-American swimmer. Jack graduated with honors from Northern Kentucky University Chase Law School.
Through his career, Jack served as a juvenile probation officer, bailiff/constable, adult probation officer, intern prosecutor, private-practice attorney, and acting judge in a number of courts. Jack, the author of “Divorce Ohio Style,” presented at numerous legal seminars on personal injury, criminal law, and domestic relations law. He represented clients in several seven-figure personal injury cases and was lead counsel in numerous death penalty and homicide cases. At the end of his career, he was focused on personal injury cases and criminal/traffic cases.
Jack Garretson has been awarded a rating of AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available for legal abilities and adherence to ethical standards. The AV® Preeminent™ rating — honoring the pinnacle of professional excellence — is the result of a strenuous peer-review rating process that is managed and monitored by the world’s most trusted legal resource. He was also chosen as a 2011 Ohio Super Lawyer in Personal Injury Law and featured in the Super Lawyers magazine.
- Northern Kentucky University Salmon P. Chase College of Law — J.D., 1977
- Princeton University — B.A. in Sociology, 1971
Admissions & Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association — Member, 1977 – Present
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio — Member, 1977 – Present
- U.S. Supreme Court — Member, 1986 – Present
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Butler County Bar Association — Member, 1977 – Present
- National Honorary Legal Society, Order of the Curia — Member, 1977
- Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority — Chairman, 1983 – 1995